Thursday 26 November 2015

Yamaha Magicstomp reverse reverb and my continuing quest for My Bloody Valentine fabulousness

For years on gear forums, people have claimed that the algos from the Yamaha SPX90 can be found in the Magicstomp. This includes the much vaunted Early Reflections reverse reverb programs so beloved by shoegaze nerds like myself.

To get the best out of the MS, you need to use the software editor. It is somewhat hard to find since the Magicstomp website came down but I did find the stuff I wanted and got it working eventually (you have to set the Midi I/O in a specific way - Yamaha software used to be very quirky. The drivers for the 01X were completely hideous). Editing city, here I come...

So what did I discover? Well, the Magicstomp doesn't sound like the SPX90. The bypass is as bad as people say so throw it in a true bypass loop. The reverse is pretty good actually, not as clanky as the SPX90 and not as thick as the Midiverb II, but it isn't bad at all.

I created a quick demonstration below. First the bypassed sound then the reverse reverb on its own. I threw a Boss HM2 pedal into the MS then tightened everything up using Klanghelm's MJUC compressor.

Finally I added some pitch variations using MVibrato by Melda Productions. The step sequencer allows for some very erratic variations. As I play a modded Epi Dot and so don't have a JM/Jaguar type trem system, MVibrato is my pitchbender.

It's not a great demo and doesn't pretend to be. So there!

Hopefully over the weekend I will have an EHX Cathedral to experiment with. 


5 comments:

  1. Hey man!!! Would you be able to share your patches here? I would love to mess around with these thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man it’s me Nita’s again hah, let me know thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to get this as a download for my M.S. too! I know it's been a few years since you made..but if you still have it..could you please share the link? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the patch guy 😑

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being unable to read or watch a video. It's a patch on the Magicstomp itself. Idiot.

      Delete